🔑 End-to-End encryption for iOS Developer
updated 12 months ago; latest suggestion 12 months ago
This talk covers the basic introduction to the modern-day end-to-end encryption (E2EE) for the beginners and advanced users.
If you ever wondered:
- What's the difference between end-to-end encrypted and the regular messengers?
- Why only recently the E2EE instant messaging became available for the day-to-day use?
- What's the technology behind the scenes?
...then this talk should provide you with the answers.
- The basic encryption primitives (Sync/Async encryption, Hashing, Key Derivation Functions).
- Big Brother and why the privacy is important.
- Brief historical overview of the encrypted messaging practices.
- Modern-day encryption improvements that enabled the real-time E2EE communication.
- How it applies to iOS.
- Basics of not sharing the data with Apple.
- Push notifications + E2EE.
- Share extension + E2EE.
- Future perspectives: E2EE for big group chats.
About the Author
Author is an experienced (9y+) iOS developer who is working for the company that maintains the known E2EE-enabled open-source communication platform.
Author: I brought this topic also considering the coming of GDPR. Certainly the attention of the governments to the surveillance and total control of communications increases the relevance of it.
I think given the current political climate, encouraging developers to think about encryption is a good thing. Especially if you also encourage them NOT to write their own crypto code.