Combine: Connect MIDI signals to SwiftUI
Last updated: over 2 years ago
Over the years I have been exploring generative design and trying to find the balance between art and technology. Core MIDI framework is a great way of introducing the audience to this fascinating world. Using exclusively Apple-provided APIs, we can create something inspiring and learn something new.
Reactive programming concepts are hard to grasp for a lot of developers. What if there is a better way to experiment and learn reactive programming concepts in real-time? Let's take MIDI input, which is a great example, and connect it using Combine to SwiftUI.
- What is MIDI?
- Brief introduction to Core MIDI framework.
- Connecting Combine to Core MIDI.
- Presenting real-time values in SwiftUI.
- Live demo in macOS SwiftUI app with MIDI controllers.
Key goals of the presentation
- Introduce Core MIDI as a point of interest for developers.
- Present how barely known framework can be leveraged to learn something new.
- Inspire developers how simple connecting to hardware devices can be.
- People interested in audio-visual programming.
- Developers with interest in multi-platform development (macOS and iOS).
- Developers interested in communication with hardware devices.
- People eager to learn new Apple technologies and reactive programming.